A 2017 Acura NSX in Berlina Black showed up at Jay Leno’s Garage.
To say it’s been a long time coming for a brand new second generation Acura NSX to roll into Jay Leno’s Garage would be a massive understatement. Jay Leno admitted to the camera it’s been five long years since he shot that first NSX commercial with Jerry Seinfeld back in 2011. But it looks like it was worth the wait. According to Jay Leno’s Garage’s official You Tube on their upload earlier Monday, lead exterior designer Michelle Christensen and Project manager and lead engineer Ted Klaus stopped in to showcase the fruits of the labor. You can check out the full 33-minute video below.
The video was chock full of information and half an hour went by in the blink of an eye. Here are 30 things we learned about the NSX project and the new 2017 Acura NSX while we watched. Some of this information may be common knowledge or already exist in press releases, but it’s always fun to be reminded of these little tidbits nonetheless.
- Gordan Murray used the original NSX as a benchmark for reliability for the McLaren F1.
- It’s been 10 years since the second generation NSX project began to present day.
- The switch from a transverse engine to a twin-turbo longitudinal setup, according to Michelle Christensen, ended up with a much better product.
- According to Ted Klaus, the characteristics of purity, heritage, being light weight, simple and timeless from the original NSX transferred over to the 2017 Acura NSX.
- The 2008 recession and its repercussions had a hand in what people expected out of supercars from that point on.
- The 2017 Acura NSX represents the brand values of Honda and is meant to unleash the full brand power of Honda.
The exterior design-
- A change in engine configuration meant the biggest exterior change was to the rear haunches.
- Keen eyes will notice that the door looks like it’s getting sucked into the air intake.
- Michelle Christensen: “Black looks stealth but a lighter color looks better.”
- Michelle Christensen: “The stock wheels are actually the lightest.
- The design of even a side mirror can take years to perfect as a surface change anywhere else affects every other surface.
- Air is channeled from the front of the car, through the sides, and out the rear.
- Like the original NSX, A-Pillar visibility was a priority.
- You can fit a full-sized golf bag in the trunk
- Michelle Christensen:”The CHMSL stands for Center High Mounted Stop Light.”
- The coefficient of drag is kept secret but the NSX does rank up there with the best.
- The philosophy behind aerodynamics was to “take air in and exit it out. “
- Benchmarks: Ferrari 458 and the original NSX.
- Regeneration into the battery takes place during acceleration and deceleration.
- Although the NSX has a 9-speed, Acura would like you to think of the NSX as having a launch gear,a cruising gear and 7 close-ratio gears.
- The driver is meant to FEEL the broad torque curve.
- In full silent electric mode, Acura calls that feature unofficially “arriving and departing in style.”
- This engine is exclusive to the NSX.
- Launch control is surprisingly simple. Left foot on the brake and bring the revs up to 2,000 RPM. Then, let go of the brake to launch.
- This particular NSX is meant for the American, Chinese, and Middle-Eastern markets.
- A rear reflector is replaced with a rear fog light in China
More from Art of Gears
- 3 Reasons the 2024 Mazda CX-50 Is Among the Best Small SUVs
- The Jeep Renegade Is Discontinued: Here’s a Look at Its Legacy
- 2023 Nissan Armada: A Decent Full Size SUV With 1 Glaring Issue
- Best Minivans: 3 Options for Families With Solid Performance
- Here’s Why the 2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E Is So Popular
Jay Leno’s Test drive.-
- It’s hard to find the trunk release if you don’t know where it is.
- Jay likes the cadence of the engine.
- “This thing’s a lot of fun.”-JL
- The 2017 Acura NSX reminded Jay of his Honda S600…which is a good thing.