Dodge is going to have electric muscle cars in 2024. On Thursday Stellantis, the conglomerate of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and the French PSA car group, announced the release of the unnamed eMuscle car but gave the public a shadowy glimpse of what is to come.
Though shrouded in shadows Dodge teased the proposed shape of their future electric car in the video above and it maintains the silhouette and front grille of a 1968 Dodge Charger but has the triangular Dodge logo from the 1960s. Its ability to burnout and intimidate is apparent.
Dodge will continue to produce its gasoline powered Chargers and Challengers but is going to offer some electric vehicle options all in the name of speed.
“Dodge will not sell electric cars, Dodge will sell American muscle,” Dodge Brand CEO Tim Kuniskis said. “If a charger can make a Charger quicker, we’re in.”
What is to come for the Dodge eMuscle is unknown but Stellantis did provide some specs for their upcoming transition to more electric vehicle offerings:
- Investing $4.1 billion through 2025 in software and electrification.
- BEV ranges of 300-500 miles and charging capability of 20 miles per minute.
- Four BEV design platforms.
- Standardized battery packs for all brands and segments.
- EV battery of over 260GWh by 2030.
- Over 40% low emission vehicle sales in the U.S. and 70% in Europe by 2030.
- Dual battery chemistries with high energy-density and a nickel cobalt-free options by 2024.
I’m digging the direction of Stellantis and the Dodge eMuscle car. They will continue to produce the current gas-powered Chargers and Challengers, which will give me the chance to get a Hellcat Challenger in time, but Mopar is starting to hit the point of maximum horsepower and acceleration for a V8 with a rear-wheel drive package.
The current Challenger Hellcat produces 717hp from a 6.4-liter V8 engine and will go from 0-60 mph in 3.7-seconds with a 1/4-mile time of 11.8-seconds. Blistering numbers by any measurement but the possibility of greater performance from Dodge from an EV is intriguing.
Also, and lets be honest, the world is going electric and to survive you have to evolve.